Thursday, July 12, 2007

I'll save you some money and from getting a headache!!

Monday morning I went on-line to check my bank account balance. To my surprise there were 15 ATM charges to be posted that day that were not ours. After investigating I found a total of 21 charges to our account totaling about $700.00 that were not authorized by us. I called the bank and they told me I had to come in and fill out some paperwork. I loaded 7 kids up and went down there. I had to close our checking and cancel the ATM card. After 4 trips- I thought it was all ok until the next day more charges went through. Now we are up to $1100.

I have called a few of the companies that things were purchased from. All of them were on the Internet. They couldn't give me any information about who, what, when ....... because it is private. What the H-E double hockey sticks!!?? Private-what about my privacy??? One lady was very helpful though. She told me one of the charges was off-shore in Nigeria. People are hacking into big companies with computers, (Wal-Mart, Safeway, Mervyn's, Chevy's, McD's, ect.) getting credit card numbers and selling them to people out of the country because things are harder to track. The FBI has been investigating this for a while and are finding that they (the crooks) can even use your number without the 3 digit security code on the back. Basically don't use your ATM card even if the company you are dealing with is secure. These people are smart!! They sometimes only charge $20 bucks at a time to each card but multiply that by thousands of cards a day that they can get a hold of!!

My charges ranged from $1-$250. Luckily, I check my banking 1-2 times per week or we would have been totally sucked dry. My bank said they will cover it and any charges but it might take a week or two.

Now the next headache, all the automatic payments that debit or deposit every month. I forgot about those until today. More phone calls, more paperwork. The daycare kids have been great though. And the parents too. I had 3 parents pay me early because I don't have checks or an ATM card-but I wouldn't use that anyway!

So the moral of this story is-back to ancient times and use cash or a check!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry this $$ thing happened to you. If I could give you some $ I would. There was so much drama going on while I was there & I am sure this bank acct attack almost put you onver the edge but you will be okay. I realize all the $ it cost you for the family week & I thank you for all you did. Jess & I did contibute about $100 each & so did Shane to groceries. Just a drop in the bucket to the $ you spent but the most we could do. I know YM went to Redmond for the week & hope her getting away will help. When she gets back, I am going to encourage her to start a daily Diary of her emotional state of the day so she can tell the shrink what is going on. I don't think she realized how much she is on her pity pot. Anyway, I love you & the girls are a delight, you & Ruben are doing a great job. Stay in touch.
Aunt Beatie