Monday, June 26, 2006

RELAY FOR LIFE

Do you RELAY? If you don't all I can say is WOW!!!! This was unlike anything I have ever experienced before. Since January, I have been attending monthly meetings for the commitee doing logistics and another meeting for team captains. Basically all logistics does is set up the day before, handle problems as they come up on the day of the event and clean-up. It is a lot of work and there were 3 of us doing it. Rena, Joanne and myself. I had to be on a radio for the entire event so needless to say I didn't get many pictures because I had to carry that around, my cellphone and my camera. There are no pictures posted with this post because they wouldn't download but I wanted everyone to know how it went.

On Friday morning, (at 9am when it was already 90) I went to the fairgrounds with 7 kids and helped map out were tents were going, garbage cans, RV's and such. Friday evening Ruben, the girls and I went down to help guide everyone coming in with their stuff not to mention setting up our trailer and tent site. We were back down there at 7am on Sat to tie up loose ends and then RELAY started. My mom was there and she was overwhelmed with emotions. Opening ceremonies started with the colorguard, a personal story and then the survivor lap. All survivors wore a purple shirt and all the particpants wore a white shirt (I had ugly yellow because I was part of the committee). After they finished, each team member took turns walking the track for the next 24 hrs. I was a team captain and had to organize everyone's hours of when to walk. We also had a booth set up selling pizza, soda, a basket raffle and a dart game.

We didn't make a whole lot of $ at our booth because there was so much of the same stuff and it was too hot to eat pizza. But our team did excede its goal of $1500. I believe we made around $2500! The whole RELAY at last count made $80,000!!!!

At dark, they did a luminaria ceremony which was beautiful. White bags decorated with survivors and those who have lost their battle had candles in them and lined the track and HOPE was spelled out on the grand stands. In the morning they did a last lap with everyone walking and following a bagpiper who also played amazing grace. I thought that was a great end to a great thing! You really have to be there the whole time to get the whole experience.

My team was wonderful!!! Thank you to everyone who walked and helped out. I know some of you walked and worked more than others but it was great and all worked out! From my WHOLE HEART- THANK YOU- Jen M., Mom, Ruben, Maggie, Olivia, Izabell, Corinne, Ben, Alex, Kelly, Jen C., Robert, Christina, Tia, Megan, Trina, Jake, Steph, Stacie, Allison, Janette, Lisa and lastly Kerry. Kerry lost a friend on Friday who has been battling cancer for the past year so I know how much this ment to her.

Being my first RELAY, I now know what to expect. I will be doing things differently next time. Yes, there will be a next time! I can not explain to you how it makes you feel! So all I can say is...

Do you RELAY?.......If you don't you MUST!!!!
In honor of you Mom, I LOVE YOU!!!!

4 comments:

Chef Deb said...

You guys should be very proud! Count me in for next year...I'd love to do it.

Java Mom said...

It was very moving....I was walking by myself and really took time to think about life and what it all means...I felt lucky I was there to walk.....I wish I would of come back for the final walk. Amazing Grace is one of my favorite songs!!! I'm glad that your mom is doing well...thanks for doing such a great job organizing it!!

Vicki said...

Wow! You all are amazing! Great job everyone who participated! It sounds like a wonderful event. Your Mom must have been so moved by the whole thing!! You should be very proud!!

3boysmom said...

Such an awesome xperience for both myself & Jake! Thank you for asking us to be a part of it!